Monday, May 07, 2007

Victory for Sarkozy

I've been following the French elections fairly closely; after all, they're only 28 miles from our shores, and therefore it's always nice to know they're under the control of a sensible leader. (Since we're not.)

I'd always backed Segolene Royal (surprise, surprise, Cal's a liberal.) Nicolas Sarkozy, a hard-line conservative, gives me the creeps. He's been compared to Jean-Marie Le Pen, and for me, that's scary enough.


For me, his win (and my reservations) were summed up in his succinct statement of:

France has given me everything, and now it is my turn to give back to France what France has given me

(So I'm assuming thats..."everything"? Oh goody. I quite like the repetition of "France", it gives the impression he knows what country he's just taken control of.)

No comments: