Friday, July 07, 2006

7/7

I promised myself that I would never make this into a political thing, but as it's a year since terrorists blew up my city, I thought I needed to say something. On a day like this, I can't help but feel such sympathy for the victims and grieving families.

The media suggests that the men who carried out these atrocities were criminal masterminds; but they weren't. They were idiots who, like children with matches, had a fascination with destruction.

In the words of my hero, Jon Stewart, after the attacks on September 11th:

"Any fool can destroy. But to see these guys, these firefighters, these policemen and people from all over the country, literally, with buckets rebuilding. That's extraordinary. That's why we've already won. It's light. It's democracy. We've already won. They can't shut that down. They live in chaos and chaos- it can't sustain itself. It never could. It's too easy and it's too unsatisfying."

I, most certainly, am not afraid.

No comments: