Wednesday, June 06, 2007

The Most Hated Family in America.

I recently had the misfortune to watch a daytime-tv programme which features the Phelps family, from Kansas. They represent the Westboro' Baptist Church which, having 71 members, is hardly a large institution.

I apologise if anybody sympathises with the family's viewpoint, but if so, you deserved to be called out. I welcome any debate.

That said however, they make up for their lack of size through the vitriolic and hate-filled rants about the rights of homosexuals, and also about the state of America today. The "church" owns the website "godhatesfags.com" and uses this slogan as their tagline; quoted Romans 9:13 as the source of this knowledge: "As it is written, Jacob have I loved, but Esau have I hated."

Seems like a radical step up to "God hates fags."

Like somebody on the programme pointed out; why are they so obsessed with sex? The head of the church has decided that despite famine, wars and injustice throughout the world, they, who claim to be the only 71 going to heaven, as they are not "fag-enablers", will focus on a trivial part of the Bible.

The members claim we should "crack the Bible to see what it says", however they take the passages which suit them, and interpret them in the wildest way possible. Times change. The Bible is also full of passages that even some of the strictest Christians cannot abide by; and here are some examples:

"For every one that curseth his mother or father, he must surely be put to death" (Leviticus 20.9)

"Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbatch of rest to the Lord. Whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death." (Exodus 35.2)

There's more; Exodus goes through what we can and can't eat to be clean, and Leviticus states that any man who is "broken footed", or with "defect of sight", or a "dwarf" can not receive the bread of God. You're also forbidden to wear any garment made of two types of cloth.

Why is it that we take some parts of the Bible to be relevant to our lives, but others not? Is it simply that we are finding supreme support for our own prejudices?

I don't know. All I can say is that unpleasant people who take the Lord's name in vain, upset my liberal sensitivities.

1 comment:

danny said...

Dear Dr. Laura,

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's law. I have learned a great deal from you, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend homosexuality, for example, I will simply remind him or her that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other laws in Leviticus and Exodus and how to best follow them. To wit:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord (Leviticus 1:9). The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. How should I deal with this?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as stated in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Leviticus 15:19-24). The problem is, how can I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Leviticus 25:44 states that I may buy slaves from the nations that are around us. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Canadians, but not Mexicans. Can you clarify?

A friend of mine says that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Leviticus 10:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

AMEN